In 1954, the UN General Assembly recommended that all countries introduce the celebration of World Children’s Day as a day of global brotherhood and mutual understanding of children, dedicated to activities aimed at ensuring the well-being of children around the world.
On November 20, 1959, the XIV session of the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child, and on November 20, 1989, at the 44th session of the UN General Assembly, the Convention on the Rights of the Child was adopted. This convention is a fundamental international instrument for the protection of children’s rights. It has currently been ratified by 193 countries.
According to the document, every child has the right to education, the right to health and adequate medical care, and the right to a name and a nationality. Every child has the right to grow up in a caring family environment and to be protected from abuse and violence.
Working with children has a prominent place in Eastern Europe Territory:
– Spiritual education, during which children study the Word of God with great interest in order to bring Goodness and Love into the world;
– Classes for children – theater, art, singing, dancing, cooking – promote opportunities for the manifestation of children’s talents, create a special atmosphere of comprehensive development and desire to learn;
– Sports and active recreation for children play a key role during summer camps, where children learn the Word of God, rest, rejoice and learn many things to build an honest world and get inspiration to do the good for others;
– Scout movement in the Territory helps children and adolescents to form the character, promotes physical and social development;
– Children and adolescents protection via seminars on Human Trafficking, where Salvationists teach children and adolescents to recognize online threats and protect themselves from dangerous networks that are possible in our digital age.
Harmonization of the child’s inner world, their happiness, safe childhood with access to quality education in every country of the planet, access to modern advanced technological medicine, quality nutrition, healthy environment – these are the key to a safe future for our children.
We pray for the happy life of our younger generation.
Words by Ivan Berezkin
Eastern Europe Territory